Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Long Run: Thanksgiving Point Half Marathon

So most of the times I try to share a lesson or a thought. Something I've learned over the course of this accidental adventure. Today however, I will be running the Thanksgiving Point half marathon, and I wanted to share it with you.

I'm actually writing this part of Friday night. My nerves are jumpy, and I probably won't be able to sleep. But that's half the fun right? I picked up my packet and my number is 992. Sounds like a good number to me. So I'm going to go to sleep now (maybe), and after I finish the race tomorrow, I will post how it went. It's timed. I'm sure I won't be first. I probably won't be last. But it doesn't matter, as long as I finish.

                                                               
Ok, so I've finally recovered enough to sit at the computer. LOL. Here's a tip, if the race is run through a golf course, just say NO. This was a really tough race with lots of steep inclines and drops following the Thanksgiving Point golf course. That part mooey sucked.  But the first part was awesome. We ran through the gardens. There were tulips and lilacs everywhere. Fountains and waterfalls. Bridges, archways, and tunnels. I almost wanted to slow down to soak it in a little more.

I had intended this run to be basically another training run for the marathon, meaning slow and steady. Ehh. Didn't happen. Once I got next to the other runners my little competitive fuse got lit by adrenaline. I was doing my run at 8:30 min per mile pace for half mile, the recovery walk for 1 minute. There was this guy, we will call him green guy because of his attire. Green guy and I kept jockeying for position. I would run ahead of him, then my watch would beep and I would walk. During the walk cycle he would pass me for a moment until my watch beeped that it was time to run again. Then I'd leave him in the dust.

Every time I passed green guy he would groan or swear. He was so mad that I kept passing him then holding back. Then passing again. He finally said something unpleasant. I ignored him and kept on running. I made it my mission to beat him to the finish. So when we approached all the hills my legs really wanted to slow down, but I was not going to let that snot beat me.

Long story short, I beat him to the finish by 3 minutes. Even though I took walk breaks every half mile and he ran continuously. I finished at 2:02:30. in about the top third of all the registered people.

Lesson to be learned? Do your own thing and tune out the naysayers. People may have thought I was dumb for run.walking, but at the end of the race I was exhausted and I was injury free. Green guy was limping. Who had the better run?

Run, walk, skip, or jump. Do your own thing and whatever makes you happy. The only rule is that you have to finish.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go!! I know all about competitive juices kicking in. And just ignore all the Green Guys in your life. Good advice. And good luck on the upcoming marathon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...