Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Long Run: You can do hard things

Today's long run is 18 miles. I'm not gonna lie, it's given me heart palpitations all week. It's big and scary and really, really, hard.

So this week I have been repeating our family mantra- You can do hard things.

The mantra was given to us by my daughter's occupational therapist. When my daughter was 4 yrs old, she refused to do anything. Everything was too hard. Tying her shoes, walking, getting dressed... you name it. She stopped trying to do anything because she was afraid she wouldn't be able to do it. It was going to be too hard. That's when her therapist told her that it's ok that the big scary thing was hard. Because she was a supergirl. And she could do hard things. It took some convincing and a whole lot of practice, but now all it usually takes is that gently reminder to get her back on course.

I'm not four but I still have the same problems. I look at something and all the work it's gonna take and I say nu uh. It's too hard. I don't want to do it.

I know for sure I can run 18 miles. I've run  26.2. But even though I know I can do it doesn't mean it's not going to be tough. It's still intimidating, but I just have to tell myself over and over that I can do hard things. I grew two little human beings. It doesn't get much harder than that.

So everytime I feel that little tendril of fear creeping into my belly and want to crawl back in my shell, I look back and find something I've done that was tough, but I survived anyway. So take that 18 miles, I can do hard things.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this blog post. It was just what I needed to hear right now, at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheila! I checked out your blogs too. Love them, but the the Why not wouldn't let me leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...