Monday, August 6, 2012

Fitness Tip: Don't Overlook Yoga

In an effort to burn the most calories in our workouts, yoga and other stretching often gets overlooked. It's true, that unless you do hot yoga, or power yoga, you won't burn a lot of calories in an hour. But physical fitness needs to go beyond the calorie count. Yoga is great for body and mind. It improves flexibility and aids in injury prevention.

One thing I hear a lot of is, "I can't do yoga. I'm just not very flexible." Well, duh. That's why you go to yoga. It's not about putting your feet behind your ears. It's about being in tune with your muscles and making progress. Egos get left at the door. I teach yoga and I can't reach my toes in forward fold with a flat back. It's all about the process.

So keep in mind that while yoga is low calorie burn, it creates those long and lean beautiful muscles we all want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...