Saturday, August 11, 2012

Setting an Example

Do you ever feel like you're being watched?

If you are a mom, then you know exactly what I mean. Children have an amazing capacity to soak up behaviors like little sponges. So what are you giving them to learn?

It is an established fact that overweight and obese parents are more likely to have overweight and obese children. Why do you think that is? Genetics. Maybe a little. But more importantly, we share eating habits as a family. If mom has dessert after every meal, the kids will grow up and expect that dessert is an essential part of dinner rather just a treat. 

What about exercise? My family growing up did a lot of wonderful things together. Not one of them was active. Lots of learning, reading, playing an instrument, etc. No sports, no hiking or biking. So as an adult, I didn't have any of these things in my repertoire. 

free image courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net

You don't have to shove your kid on a treadmill for 30 minutes a day (That was done to me. Don't do it!) Lead by example and family fun. Show your kids now how to lead a healthy HAPPY active lifestyle. If I complain constantly about working out and being on a diet, I guarantee my little girls will grow up having issues too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...