Thursday, December 20, 2012

Downward facing dork

Today I filmed a yoga workout routine to put on my website in January, to coincide with the book launch.

I had a budget of zero, and used a Sony handycam. I learned a few things, the main one being that it is painful to watch yourself on screen at any size.

Teaching my regular clients is one thing, but trying to coach a camera through downward facing dog is just awkward. The more I watch the clip, the more I notice what isn't just perfect. We tend to be our worst critics. I know what I am most concerned about, trouble areas, chin wobbles, etc. So of course those are the things I focus on when rewatching the 45 minute routine. The experience is fairly excruciating.

I suppose it's time I took my own lesson from the book. You don't have to be perfect, you just have to finish. I made a yoga video that people can download starting Jan. 8th.  It's not the most professional quality and I certainly don't look like one of those Cirque De Soleil performers, sniffing my toes as they arc past my head. I'm just an average woman, mom of two, trying to stay fit and share my love of yoga with people. I think I'm the only person who was hoping it would magically transform into p90x yoga or some other workout dvd.

So my word of advice for the day would be to recognize what thoughts are coming from our own insecurities, and what fears we project onto other people. I'm sure my own fear of dorkiness and being mocked are mostly in my own head. But even if one or two nuts in the peanut gallery feel the same way, the most important thing is to reach my goals. And today that was filming a beginning yoga routine to share with the masses.

Goal achieved.

4 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...